Referrals are processed by the Referrals Office (open 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday), and are accepted from any healthcare professional or from patients and families where appropriate.
Referrals can be made by completing the referral form in the right hand column, which is either then faxed to 01284 732000 or posted to St Nicholas Hospice Care (marked for the Referrals Office). Please do not email patient information.
How to access the service
There is an open referral system for people who need hospice care, support and advice who:
- have an advanced, progressive life-shortening malignant or non-malignant disease
- have unresolved, unmet needs that may include any or all of the following:
- Physical, psychosocial or spiritual distress
- Need help with difficult decisions, planning, or conversations about managing end of life care
- Need for information
There is no minimum age; if our staff have expertise which is not available within other organisations and the patient / client seeks our intervention we will consider becoming involved
Did you know you can self-refer to St Nicholas Hospice Care?
If you believe you or someone you know would benefit from the expertise at St Nicholas Hospice Care please ask your Doctor, Nurse or Social Worker to make a referral. If you have any queries, please contact the Referrals Office on 01284 715569.
The process after Referral:
- We will contact the GP surgery by fax to inform the GP of the referral and to request medical information in the form of copies of letters and scan reports.
- The Hospice triage team will then contact involved healthcare professionals as appropriate and also contact the patient/family/carer.
- This will help us to ensure the patient's first assessment is allocated to the appropriate team, and is carried out in a timely fashion according to need and priority. This first assessment may be undertaken at home or in a clinic setting at the Hospice depending on the situation. The triage service will also be able to signpost to other services where necessary.
Out of Hours Referrals
If you need to make an urgent referral outside of office hours then please contact Sylvan Ward direct on 01284 725700.
The Referrals Office can be contacted directly on 01284 715569.